DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES & FIELDWORK IN CULTURAL HERITAGE, MUSEUMS & MYCENAEAN SITE OF KASTROULI - DigArch2016
DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES & FIELDWORK IN CULTURAL HERITAGE, MUSEUMS & MYCENAEAN SITE OF KASTROULI
Duration: 25 Days
The summer school includes 2 Parts:
Part I: DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES & FIELDWORK IN CULTURAL HERITAGE & MUSEUMS
13 Days equivalent workload to 130 hours (incl. 20 hours essay), 5 ECTS
Delphi, Greece 5 July -18 July 2016
5 July: Arrivals. Bus transfer from Athens Αirport at 17.00, arrive at the site of Delphi ~20.00
Municipality of Delphi Lecture Room
19 July: EXAMS - Departure from Delphi to Athens Airport at 13.00, arrive at Athens Airport ~16.00.
- 1 day introduction to the current state-of-the-art and trends for future innovation
- 4 days lab & theory on digital archaeometry
- 3 days theory and fieldwork practice on 3D digitization & imaging
- 1 day introduction to cultural databases, repositories and international standards
- 1 day museum and sanctuary of Delphi guiding and touring
- 2 days educational trips in the Delphi archaeological environs
- 1 day free preparation for exams
Particular emphasis will be given to practical professional experience. Students will have a great experience and form strong bonds with their peers on a field program. For this reason digarch16 offers something more than a great academic course; including special opportunities and experiences in situ and in museum lab.
This Summer School DIGARCH16 is a collaboration between:
- the University of the Aegean (www.aegean.gr)- Dept of Mediterranean Studies (Leader) & Dept of of Product and Systems Design Engineering
- University of California, San Diego, USA*
- ATHENA-Research and Innovation Center in Information, Communication and Knowledge Technologies, Xanthi’s Branch
The Summer School is linked to the Workshop Virtual Archaeology Museums & Cultural Tourism initiated in 2013 by our University and established to a biannial basis and annual summer school coorganized by participated international Institutes and as a consortium participation on a joint Research Programme.
* Subject to last year’s high number of applicants and the restriction to 35 participants first apply first gets.
Part II: MYCENAEAN SITE OF KASTROULI FIELDWORK
(only for UCSD & UAEGEAN students)
12 Days equivalent workload to 130 hours (incl. 20 hours essay), 5 ECTS
Desfina Village (near Delphi) 19 July – 31 July 2016
For UCSD & UAEGEAN students and the MYCENAEAN SITE OF KASTROULI SUMMER SCHOOL.
Provision has been made for full board accommodation in the small village of Desfina & local travel. For further information please contact either Prof T.Levy ( email@example.com) or Prof.I.Liritzis
- Geophysical prospection
- Digging & sample processing
- Local guided museum and monastery visits
- Stationary material
- supervision on essays
- Daily snacks, Coffee-tea - / local refreshments beverages at fieldwork break,
- Bus transfer Desfina - Athens airport,
It is equivalent to 5 ECTS that corresponds to:
a) 9 hours per day the field activities above,
b) an essay submitted on arrival to Desfina Village (Potential topics are proposed about Mycenaean Culture in Central Greece and Peloponnese and relevant literature is recommended),
c) an essay more like a reflective journal or diary, written in situ, on Cyber-archaeology and other portable instrumentation used, and submitted by the end of the Mycenaean Fieldwork.
Transcript and diplomas are provided officially, signed by the University of the Aegean, and the mark is a combination of fieldwork performance (60%) and 20% +20% essays.
Due to popular demand the DEADLINE is: June 5th, 2016
The present summer school is part of the “University of the Aegean Summer Schools” and its website is supported by the project «The University of the Aegean, the prominent and driving factor for the economic and social growth of the wide Aegean area» of the Operational Programme “Education and Lifelong Learning”, which is co-funded by European Union (European Social Fund) and National Resources.