Ευρωπαϊκή Διακυβέρνηση και Δημοκρατία - govart2014
The Summer School aims to produce knowledge , and to study the functions of the parliamentary system in national and European decision-making process . We will try to contribute to the development of research activities in the fields of democracy, national legislation and comparative European politics. Emphasis will be given to the study of the European Parliament and of the respective national parliaments and practice of governance at national and European level .
The summer school will take place from 1 July to 11 July and the island of Lesvos, in the premises of the University of the Aegean. Its main objective is to deliver in depth the meaning and applications of European governance. The main objective of the summer school will focus on the EU's contribution to the international debate on governance , focusing on the democratization of international decision-making processes. We are attracted by the specificity of the wide range of governance and the analysis of European governance as a mean to challenge the state as the exclusive organising factor in international community .
- in-depth knowledge of European governance, ie democratic exercise of power at the operating level of European institutions but also at the level of operation of national decision-making mechanisms
- students' interest will be linked to their ability, because of the specialized knowledge gained, to participate in a democratic European decision making mechanism as well as enhancing the direct role of citizens in the associated procedures
- the acquisition of specialized knowledge will be done thanks to the teaching of prestigius European researchers and academics and recognized connoisseurs of European governance. It is important to emphasize that the instructors are already members of a research team working on the relevant discipline through special workshops and joint publications
- the acquisition of such expertise will be achieved thanks to the extensive research and profound relationship the members of the teaching team have European governance, protection of human rights, humanitarian action that distinguishes from the foreign policy of the European Union, globalization and implications of European integration and the economic and environmental dimension of European governance.
Summer School Thematic Topics :
- European multilevel governance.
- The mission of the international organizations in global governance: the importance of regionalism and regional interdependence of the organized structures of the international community.
- New government art: review of the classical logic of transnational European institutional decision-making system.
- The relationship of European governance the protection of human rights and international humanitarian law
The Summer School "European Governance and Democracy" is being held with the support of the program "Governance" of the University of Luxembourg.
The “University of the Aegean Summer Schools” are supported by the project «The University of the Aegean, the prominent and driving factor for the economic and social growth of the wide Aegean area» of the Operational Programme “Education and Lifelong Learning”, which is co-funded by European Union (European Social Fund) and National Resources.